Thursday, November 20, 2008

potty training

Oh boy.

Last night, when Gavin and I got home from dinner with Missy and Bryant, I had to pee. Like, 10 minutes ago. So I went into the bathroom to take care of that, and Gavin followed me in, saying "want potty too!" He was covered in applesauce due to a spoon malfunction at dinner, so I stripped him down (it was bathtime anyway) and he sat on the potty, holding his milk cup. I took his discarded clothes to his hamper right next door, came back, and noticed that something had happened - Gavin was staring at his boy parts in wonder? shock? who knows, and there was pee in the potty! We clapped, we said "Yay!" and threw our hands in the air, and generally celebrated like idiots. I was proud of him. He enjoyed the praise so much, in fact, that getting him off the potty and into the tub for a bath was a bit of a struggle. :)

Today, we had fried chicken with macaroni and cheese for dinner. (Not the healthiest, but it sure was tasty!). Gavin gave up on his fork very early on and took to shoveling the mac & cheese in his mouth with his fingers. He was c.o.v.e.r.e.d. in cheese sauce by the time he was full. Yuck. I got a washcloth, cleaned him up a bit, and stripped him down. Before starting the bath I asked if he wanted to sit on the potty, and he sat right down. (The potty is a favorite place of his. Like father, like son, I guess.)

I asked him if he could pee, and he started pushing/straining/whatever, and a little pee dribbled out. The look on his face when he looked up at me was priceless! It's like he peed gold or something, he was so tickled. He clapped for himself, I clapped for him, and then he tried again. He peed about a gazillion pee dribbles, and a few short streams, in the little while he was on the potty. Then we heard it - the fart. Little boys make big noises. And where there's noise.... A minute or two later, Gavin pooped on the potty! He wasn't quite as shocked by the poo as he was by the pee (he's more used to the poo in his diaper I guess) but he really did like pulling his feet up so he was squatting on the little potty so he could have a peek at his handiwork. Weirdo. He was so proud of himself. He asked me twice for a hug while he was still on the potty. Goofy, and adorable, and I can't believe he's starting to use the potty.

My little baby boy is growing up! (Is there a way to make it stop???)

No comments: