Monday, January 16, 2012

successes!

Colin is 2. He will be 3 in February, not entirely 2 months away anymore. I was starting to think the kid would head to kinder in diapers. He just did not seem to care that his diaper was wet or full of a big nasty poop or anything.

We started putting him in pull-ups (left over from Gavin), then underpants when we ran low, last weekend maybe? I watched the clock and sat him down every 30 minutes or less. He would go pee no problem. Yay! But come time to poo? 2-3 times a day I was dumping a nasty turd out of underpants because he never had to go when I had him on the littly potty.

The little potty is currently in the living room - gag - because he was much more amenable to sitting there with the rest of us around. It will move back to the bathroom really very super soon. I hope.

This weekend, we've started having more success. Colin's undies have been dry (and if we go out somewhere and I put him in a diaper, it stays dry too!) pretty much all weekend. He's pooped *in the potty* more than he has out of it, and yesterday he started to go while playing (first floor puddle, fun) but told us and finished on the potty. We're getting there!

Today, while finishing his lunch/playing with his Happy Meal toy at the table (they were good when we went up to my classroom, they got a treat, disgusting but they love it) I ran to the office for a second. Colin yelled "I need to go pee pee potty!" so I ran back, yanked down the undies, and had him sit right down. He needed to pee AND poop, and he did, and it was all in the potty, and I sat there with a big idiot grin so ridiculously awesomely fantastically happy that he'd finally told me he needed to go BEFORE HE WENT.

We are not out of the potty training trenches. Not by a long shot. A looooooong shot, to be certain. Colin is afraid of the big potty (especially public toilets, public restrooms freak him out with the big loud flushes and the noise of the hand dryers and whatnot), so moving to the actual bathroom (and out of the living room) will be a series of steps. Going while out in public? I'm dreading that. It's a necessary hurdle, and one I wish we could jump without having Gavin along for the ride (he can be a cheerleader or a pestering fly, depending on his mood).

But we are making progress, and there is an end in sight to the diapers.

No comments: