Thursday, July 23, 2009

getting acquainted. again.

I go back to work in less than a month. When I went back before the summer, Colin went to Kelly's house but cried (screaming cries, at that) pretty much the whole time. We've been visiting with Kelly all summer - playdates out and about, at her house, and at our house. Colin will smile and flirt with Kelly all day long as long as I'm there. Our project this summer is to get him to be smiley and happy when I'm not there.

Today we had a trial run at Kelly's house for a few hours. Gavin and I took Colin over to Kelly's, hung out for a while, then left Colin there while we ran some errands and Gavin took a nap. It sounds like he did the screaming thing again. However, I really do think that if we keep up with it he'll get more and more comfortable at Kelly's house and with Kelly herself. She is so fantastic, I can't believe how lucky we are. She's taking her own time this summer to help get Colin comfortable. I don't think we could ask for more.

Now that he's past the 4 month point, it's okay to let him cry it out (we even called the pediatrician for some ideas and he reassured us on that) so that's pretty much what we have to do. When he's upset he doesn't have any interest in the bottle, so that's the other hurdle we have to get over. When he's not upset he'll take the bottle without issue. That's definitely a good thing! My hopes are high - I have to keep myself optimistic, the kids can smell fear! :)

No comments: